When you’re vegan, finding alternatives to everyday food items that we all know and love can be tricky, especially when you’re first starting out on your plant-based journey.
Making the switch to a vegan diet can feel daunting and limiting, especially if it feels like there isn’t a decent substitute for all of your recipe needs.
In this article, I cover the 6 best vegan butter alternatives, so next time you’re feeling overwhelmed at the store, you have a few fail-safe vegan butter alternatives at your disposal.
So, let’s get started.
6 Best Vegan Butter Brands
- Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
- MIYOKO’s, Organic, European Style Cultured Vegan Butter
- Milkadamia, Spread Macadamia Buttery Salted
- Melt Usda Organic Rich & Creamy Butter
- Earth Balance Pressed Avocado Oil Blended Spread
- Forager Project, Organic Dairy-Free Butter Alternative with Peruvian Salt
Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
Living a plant-based lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to give up buttery pancakes, waffles, and cakes.
If you’re looking for a creamy alternative that still tastes buttery, Earth Balance has been making waves in the vegan butter market since its inception in 1998.
Earth Balance makes a margarine-like butter spread that tastes like the real thing – but without the animal products.
This is the original spread, but you can also get your hands on others, including a soy-free option as well as an organic whipped spread to name a few.
So, you’re spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing vegan butter from Earth Balance.
- Wide variety of options to choose from.
- Vegan, non-dairy & non-GMO.
- This vegan butter contains no trans fats.
- This vegan butter substitute contains palm oil.
MIYOKO’s, Organic, European Style Cultured Vegan Butter
If you fancy a buttery treat, this MIYOKO’s Organic European Style Cultured Vegan Butter is great to bake with and melts on bagels and toast like regular butter!
This butter is great for individuals who try to avoid palm oil for environmental reasons, as Miyoko’s plant-based butter doesn’t contain any.
Instead, it’s made primarily from cashews, alongside organic coconut, safflower, or sunflower oil, and is certified organic!
Using this delicious alternative, you’ll wonder why you didn’t turn vegan sooner.
- This vegan butter is palm oil-free.
- Certified organic.
- Perfect for all of your favorite recipes.
- Packaging could be improved.
Milkadamia, Spread Macadamia Buttery Salted
This Milkadamia Spread spreads and melts like dairy butter without the use of any animal products.
This vegan butter alternative is entirely plant-based and is palm oil-free. Use it to whip up your favorite recipes like a batch of cookies or simply slather it on toast. The options are endless!
The texture of this butter is silky smooth and it has a delicious, buttery flavor, so you won’t feel like you’re missing out on the taste of dairy.
Use this butter to help you transition to a vegan diet with ease!
- This vegan butter alternative is non-GMO certified.
- Never made with palm oil.
- Entirely vegan. This butter is made without any animal products, including seafood, dairy, eggs, or honey.
- A few customers found this vegan butter alternative salty.
Melt Usda Organic Rich & Creamy Butter
The Melt Usda Organic Rich & Creamy Butter is another excellent vegan butter alternative.
It’s dairy-free, vegan and features certified organic, non-GMO virgin coconut oil – a stable, saturated fat, and a rich fruit-based source of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs).
It cooks, bakes, and melts just like butter, but with half the saturated fat and fewer calories. What’s not to love?
- This butter substitute is dairy-free and entirely vegan.
- Works excellently with a variety of recipes meaning that you can bake and cook with it with ease.
- Certified organic, non-GMO ingredients.
- This particular butter comes as a 12 pack online.
Earth Balance Pressed Avocado Oil Blended Spread
The Earth Balance Pressed Pressed Avocado Oil Blended Spread is made out of pressed avocado oil, palm kernel oil, and sea salt combine for a smooth, rich taste.
This delicious vegan avocado spread is great for spreading, baking and frying, so you can add it to all of your favorite recipes for an added boost of creaminess.
It is vegan, non-dairy, and Non-GMO Project Verified.
- This vegan butter substitute adds a delicious flavor to any recipe that you’re cooking.
- Vegan, non-dairy, and non-GMO verified.
- Adds creaminess that dairy butter provides without any animal products.
- A few customers claimed this spread could be saltier.
Forager Project, Organic Dairy-Free Butter Alternative with Peruvian Salt
The Forager Project Organic Dairy-Free Butter Alternative with Peruvian Salt is a fantastic option if you live a vegan lifestyle.
Being dairy-free, soy-free, and gluten-free, this butter alternative is great for those with a strict diet and those struggling with diseases, such as celiacs.
This vegan butter has a delicious flavor that will complement any recipe that you use it in.
Whether you add it to mashed potatoes or use it to top your favorite breakfast waffles, this butter is designed to make any dish creamy and irresistible.
- This vegan butter alternative is entirely dairy-free, soy-free, and gluten-free.
- USDA certified organic.
- Great butter alternative for those individuals on a strict vegan, plant-based, or gluten-free diet.
- A few customers claimed that they struggled to spread this particular vegan butter alternative.
Being vegan or choosing to live a plant-based lifestyle doesn’t mean you need to miss out on all of the delicious foods.
Although it can be tricky to find alternatives that are similar to the original food, there are multiple vegan butter alternatives out there that are just as good as regular butter so you don’t have to feel like you’re missing out on any of the fun!
Relax in knowing that you don’t have to worry about not being able to make your favorite recipes that require butter anymore.
Next time you’re at the store and fancy picking up some butter, why not give one of these vegan butter alternatives a try?
This page may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we'll earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you.